Dr. Moshe Krieger 1885-1975
Physician, pioneer and humanist. Born in Lithuania, studied in the Telz
Yeshiva (rabbinical college) and in Universities in Berlin, Giessen, Nancy and
Paris, where he served as chairman of the Zionist Student Organization.
Immigrated to Palestine in 1912, volunteered for the Ottoman army and
served in Constantinopole during the Balkan Wars. After the war he
served as the Colony (Moshava) Doctor in Zikhron Yaakov and Hadera. At
the First World War Dr. Krieger was recruited again as Yüzbaşı (Captain),
a medical officer in the Ottoman army and served in the Sinai Desert
front, in Palestine and in Lebanon. During the war he treated patients
in Kfar-Saba and in Damascus, among the jews who were expelled
from Palestine. During 1920-1926 Dr. Krieger served as physician and
Director of the Hadassah Hospital in Safed and was the Chairman of
the Jewish Community there. In 1923 he participated in the 13th Zionist
Congress in Karlsbad, Czechoslovakia. Dr. Krieger settled in Tel-Aviv in
1927 as a private doctor. In 1929 he married Dr. Fanni Chlenov and later
they had their two children Nira and Yechiel. 1934 saw the foundation of
the Krieger House on 71 Rothschild Boulevard, which also housed Dr.
Krieger’s clinic. Among his patients were the writers Hayim Nahman Bialik,
Rachel the poetess, Uri-Zvi Grinberg, Anda Pinkerfeld, The Hazon Ish,
Rabbi Yizhak Yedidia Frenkel, Actors Hanna Rovina, Menahem Gnessin,
Shimon Finkel, Aharon Meskin, Minister Bechor-Shalom Shitrit, painters
Moshe Castel and Lea Nikel. Dr. Krieger was active in public affairs as
the Chairman of the Jewish Medical Association of Palestine, Chairman
of the Executive Committee of the Anti-Tuberculosis League in Israel,
member of the committee for the foundation of Tel-Aviv’s first Museum
of Art and Chairman of the Friends of Habima Theatre, working towards
the opening of the national theatre’s house.
Dr. Fanny Chlenov-Krieger 1898-1977
Pediatrician and Chairwoman of the Organization of Women
Physicians in Israel.
Born in Moscow, daughter of Zionist leader and physician Dr. Yechiel
Chlenov. Trained in Medicine in Königsberg and Berlin and immigrated
to Palestine in 1924. Worked in the Youth Village ‘Meir Shfeya’ and
in the Hadassah Hospitals in Jerusalem and Safed, where she met
Dr. Moshe Krieger. They married in 1929 and had their children Nira
and Yechiel. In the 1930s Dr. Chlenov-Krieger established together
with Dr. Shapira a sanatorium for children in Tel-Aviv, bearing the
name ‘Lataf’. During the Second World War she volunteered for
the British Army, acting as Captain. Dr. Chlenov-Krieger worked for
years in clinics and healed patients until her last day.